Sunday, February 1, 2009

Stand by: Puppy training in progress

This is our adorable new wheaten terrier puppy, charlee. And, yes, she is a girl with a boy's name--deal with it. So far we absolutely love the little thing, but I am stressing about the potty training. I researched tons before we got her and I felt quite prepared, but the training doesn't ever go as smoothly in real life as it does in the books. She's a smart dog, just a little confused about where her potty place is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok so the puppy is SUPER cute! Wish I was resposible enough to have one!

Jay and Ang said...

Jay and I put a bell tied to a string on the back door. I know she's bigger than Woody but we would carry Woody to the bell about every hour (when possible) pick his paw up, ring it and repeat same word over and over. We say, go to the potty and then we would stay outside with his and repeat over and over "potty" while he was going pee/poo. It took about a month maybe to get it down but he rings the bell on his own how when he need to go.

Don't punish Her for peeing in the house unless you catch her in the act. The good news is, is that you have hard wood floors so that makes for easy clean up.

You could try the potty pads but we couldn't ever get woody to use them.

Jaime Stephens said...

ahhh so cute. No advice here you could try a singing potty :-)

Chaotic Monarchy said...

potty training is sooo fun! Just be glad you have wood floors. She is super duper cute. We can't wait to meet her. And I'm glad you finally got your Charlee Brown.

Nick & Alyson said...

I don't have any advice because I don't and never have had a puppy. But she is cute and Charlee can totally be a girl's name.

Anonymous said...

OH my heck!!!! SOOOOO cute when i can i come meet her!!!!?

Anonymous said...

angie is right on the punishing... stick with it, she'll get it soon enough. being consistant and repetitive is key. what ever you decide, stay with it. repeat repeat repeat! same words with same actions all the time.. that's how they learn! you could try using the training pads- if she uses them.. slowly move them toward the door.. then eventually outside.. then remove :)