Friday, August 22, 2008

'Twilight' what's the deal?

Over the past few months I have been wondering what is the deal with these 'Twilight' books. Every where I go people are talking about them. A few weeks ago I ironically ended up at a 'Twilight' party. It was quite hilarious, but I was shunned by those in attendance when I announced that I had never read the book. I heard about these books a long time ago and didn't have much interest----a vampire love story--not typically my genre. The more and more I heard about it, the less I actually wanted to read it. I get turned off by fads. After all, I have never read a single 'Harry Potter' book. Well, with the release of the new book, I couldn't go anywhere with out hearing about it. Radio stations talked nonstop about the obsessed women who lived through these books. Finally, my curiosity got the best of me and I started reading the first book. I am half way through it and still confused about this phenomena. Frankly, I'm bored to tears(don't hate me--my friends who love this book). It's definitely an easy read, but I have yet to be impressed by it. I still don't get what all the hoop-la is about. My friend told me it didn't get good until the tenth chapter, but I have now far surpassed that point, and am wondering "should I waste any more time on this book?"

6 comments:

Jay and Ang said...

I am right there with you Alicia. I have never been interested in reading them either. Jay's sisters and mom have been trying to get me to and I am not into that genre either. Its kind of annoying-

Christensens said...

I have read them and I liked them. BUT, I didn't like the sappy romance part. I liked the fantasy aspect of it. But then I liked Harry Potter, too.
As for having three kids? Not bad at all. But, definitely an adjustment. We stayed home a lot at first, but once Eli got older it got easier to go out. Oh and it's okay to tell me you're pregnant. You don't have to pretend. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I have read them, and am almost done with the 4th. I have really liked them. I have a completely different perspective than most though. I hate Bella's guts, I think Edward is too controlling, and I LOVE Jacob Black. (You learn more about him in the 2nd book) I like fantasy stuff so maybe thats why I liked them, but it was nice having an easy read. And yes, I am excited to see the movie!

Jaime Stephens said...

haha nice... I haven't read them either so we have that in common. I haven't heard of someone not liking them though so maybe you will get into them... To answer your question too about where we are moving, we are looking in all of Utah County not quite sure yet...

Hadley's said...

AMEN!!! I read the first one and part of the second, and I too am still wondering what the deal is about them!! All the people who live for them drive me CRAZY!!! I love you Alicia!!

Randy & JoAnna said...

Hi Alicia!
Stumbled on your blog thru Kenzies. It was fun to see you at the vampire party next door! Small world eh? Well I wanted to comment on your comment about the Twilight series...Kenzi got me started on it too. Like you I was a bit confused about the whole vampire thing (not my typical kind of book I would read, didn't read a Harry Potter book, nor had the desire to see the movies). I got thru book 1, book 2 was a disappointment, and I was bored to tears, but had to keep going because everyone says it gets better, well I'm on book 3, I've had it for almost a month and a half and I think I'm only on page 50. I'm having a hard time keeping with it, I just may cave in and give the book back to Kenzi. I'm not liking them too much myself.
Keep in touch!
JoAnna