Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Raspberry pickin' when you're color blind

For those of you who don't know, Jaxon is colorblind. My dad is also colorblind, so the defective gene was passed on from me. If I remember right from my physiology class, then Rowan will have a 50/50 chance of being colorblind as well. Marabelle is safe because the defective gene is carried on the x chromosome and it is recessive. Anyway, that's about all the genetics I can understand. Luckily, colorblindness doesn't effect too many things and the only career it limits a person from is flying. For the most part, I find Jaxon's confusion of colors quite cute. Like today, we came home from the gym and marabelle was talking about one of her friends from the gym daycare. She was telling me all about how this little boy has red hair ( which he does-- very bright red hair) and Jaxon told me "no he doesn't, he has green hair." I busted up laughing and Jaxon and I then debated for several minutes about whether his hair is red or green ( he is definitely a Brown) I finally had to remind him that he is colorblind and that red sometimes looks green to him. This fact makes raspberry pickin' a little difficult, but he somehow manages because that is his garden job. He picked this lovely bowl of raspberries this afternoon and we devoured them!





No comments: